Friday, June 20, 2014

I have just received a copy of Charles Solomon's new book Once Upon a Dream: From Perrault's Sleeping Beauty to Disney's Maleficent. The text is highly readable and it is beautifully illustrated. Charles mentions that Sleeping Beauty is his favorite Disney movie and it shows.I especially enjoyed the chapter about the origins of the story.

There is nothing really brand new in this book in terms of sources or illustrations but the overall product is a very, very nice one and will really satisfy the casual Disney enthusiasts. It is a great gift and a book I like having on my shelves.

I also hope that one day Charles will consider writting an in-depth history about the making of the movie aimed at Disney scholars. One is allowed to dream :-) Until then, I will enjoy this volume, Bob Thomas' original Art of Animation and Pierre Lambert's artbook on "La Belle au Bois Dormant".



No comments: